You are now able to work remotely from Dubai under the newly established Digital Nomad Visa.
Prior to this newly launched Visa in Dubai, an individual could only obtain a Visa and Resident ID card if by way of investment in property, employment, or setting up a business.
The requirement for obtaining a Digital Nomad Visa is as follows:
- You must have a valid passport which is valid for at least 6 months at the time of applying.
- You must be a remote worker. In other words, you must be able to proof employment at a company not situated in the UAE. You would have to:
- provide an employment contract which is valid for at least the next year.
- receive a monthly salary of at least USD5000 per month.
- provide bank statements for the prior 3 months.
- confirm health insurance with UAE coverage validity.
- If you are a business owner, you would have to provide the same as in the case of employees, as well as:
- proof of ownership of your own business in a country other than the UAE which was operational for at least 1 year before applying.
Once you are in Dubai you would be able to make use of the same services as if you were employed by being able to enroll your child in a school or obtain a cell phone sim card or contract. You will also be able to rent accommodation. This however may prove a little more difficult as lease agreements are typically only for one full year payable in advance. It may therefore be the case that you pay for one full year but are only able to stay for 11 months unless you are willing to utilize Airbnb or alternative short-term rentals.
Dubai is a great place to work remotely. It is centrally situated near Europe and the East, has good weather, world-class restaurants, and cuisine, and numerous tourist attractions all of which will most definitely keep you busy for a year.
The Digital Nomad Visa allows you to experience life in Dubai whilst being a remote worker. This is truly an exciting new development which I believe should be made full use of.